Monday, June 4, 2018

Day Nineteen: Friday, June 1
Upon deregistering, I felt a mix of emotions. I felt a definite sense of finality, and also of peace in knowing that the last of my responsibilities in Austria was taken care of. I have been a bit homesick the past few days, and deregistering seemed to make me feel like I was closer to getting back home. Studying abroad has been an incredible experience, however there are many things at home which I am eager to get back to. While on this trip, I have felt a bit like the "other," but feel like I was always the same ol' guy, just in a different place. Austria did seem to bring out my senses of independence and adventurousness, in addition to willingness to try new things and the eagerness to learn and experience new things. My heightened sense of adventure is the main way, if any, in which I felt like the "other." At home, I generally am familiar with my surroundings, and there is not much I have not explored. However, in Austria, new experiences awaited around every corner, so to really get the most out of the trip, an adventurous spirit was must. If I were to try to sum up my study abroad experience in words, I do not think I would be able to fully capture it. The best choice, though, is "wonderment." During moments such as exiting a train into a new country, climbing a staircase and then seeing some amazing view at the top, or standing on the mountaintop in Dorfgastein, I was filled with an overwhelming sense of wonder. The enormity of my surroundings simply left me feeling awestruck in many circumstances. These experiences are the ones I will never forget. Upon returning home, I hope to be able to step back and really take in my surroundings as I was able to do abroad. There is beauty in so much of my home state, and I hope to see it in the way that I saw Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment