Monday, June 4, 2018

Day Twenty: Saturday, June 2
Since today is my last day in Austria, it is appropriate to reflect on what I experienced here, and how those experiences affected me. I will miss beautiful sights, culture, the incredible history, and delicious foods of Austria. I will miss mountains, rolling hills, trees, abundant music, and ornate architecture. Although I will miss these things, I am looking forward to coming back home. I miss the feeling I get when I take a walk through the woods. I miss sunrises that break through the trees or cut across the long grass of the fields. I miss my family, friends, and pets, and I miss all of the things that make Arkansas my home. When I get back home, though, my outlook and perceptions of things will be different. After seeing things from a different perspective in Austria, I know I will grow to appreciate the small details of home, and the importance of little things that I had not paid much attention to before. Seeing the beauty in things, such as centuries-old architecture, the awe-inspiring alps, and the incredible culture that surrounded me at all times will alter my outlook on experiences, places, and things back home for the better. I am so grateful that I was able to see such beauty and have such incredible experiences in Austria, Hungary, and Munich. Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Dorfgastein, Hallstatt, and Salzburg are all places I will never forget. Being able to climb the mountain in Dorfgastein, as well as in Hallstatt were unforgettable experiences. I will never forget Hallstatt and its majestic lake and mountains, as well as its unique salt mine. The most amazing experience, although it may have seemed simple to some, was to climb to the top of the mountain in Dorfgastein. Amongst the snowy peaks and clouds, I felt the presence of God to a degree that I have felt few times before. Although I feel His presence every day, on the mountaintop, He was all around me. In everything I saw, from giant green trees on the mountainside to delicate, vibrant blue flowers growing at the peak, the snowy mountaintops that surrounded me, or wispy clouds rolling through at eye level, God was there. I can't quite describe the feeling I had in words, but I was overwhelmed with a sense of peace.
My experiences in Austria will help me to celebrate and value others' differences. Austrians are so tolerant and accepting of others who differ from them, and I believe this is a mindset that all Americans could learn from. My experiences will also help me to see the beauty in everyday things. Austria has taught me to step back and really see my surroundings. So many times in life, I have overlooked the small details. After this trip, I will grow to appreciate more the little elements in life that make it truly special.
Regarding my future career as a doctor, this trip has helped me to see a different perspective and way of viewing health. I have learned the importance of leisure and of relaxation to personal health, which will do me well to apply to my own life, and to advise patients to apply to theirs. Also, from my experiences at Krems, I learned of different methods of doing things, as well as different ways of thinking in regards to medicine. I feel that I will be able to better show empathy toward my patients after learning about/seeing those in need of assistance on the Shades Tour. I will have a greater appreciation for nurses and physicians' assistants and the help that they will provide me every day in my career. I do not know how I would be able to perform my job without their assistance -- they are critical, and worthy of praise.
Overall, my study abroad experience was one I will never forget. The things I gained, things I learned, and ways in which I was changed were invaluable, and I will be forever grateful for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment