Day
Eight: Monday, May 21
My
feelings about homelessness prior to today were that homeless people are likely
in their situation because of mental illness, or a lack of ability or will to
find work and earn a living. I err more on the side of being unsympathetic to the
homeless, thinking that they could pull themselves out of a situation with a little
hard work. I do not have experience with the homeless in other countries, so my
opinions of the homeless in Austria and Hungary were the same as my opinions of
the homeless in the U.S. Following the Shades Tour, I realized that people
become homeless due to a variety of reasons. Whether it be due to overwhelming
circumstances, debt, physical or mental disease, or unemployment, homelessness
is sometimes the only option for some Austrians and others worldwide. I was
also able to learn of the aid offered to the homeless in Vienna. Compared to
the U.S., there seemed to be much more sympathy for the homeless in Vienna.
Three main highlights of the Shades Tour for me were learning statistics of prevalence
of homelessness, learning the most common causes for becoming homeless, and
learning of ways in which the Viennese government and social programs provides
aid to its homeless.
Homelessness happens for many reasons. Some in a person's control, some not so much. I think that treating it a social problem makes much more sense than treating it as a criminal justice issue like we so often do in the US.
ReplyDeleteAnd maybe we all will view homelessness a little differently upon our return!
ReplyDelete