Day
Thirteen: Saturday, May 26
I
spent the day today in Munich. While Munich is fun in the daytime, sights (at
least in my experience) are not quite as plentiful as in Vienna, or as they
were in the Buda side of Budapest. Despite this, there was a beautiful garden, a
large tower in which music was played, and a huge market complete with large
and very crowded biergartens, various stalls, and unique patrons. Something
that I noticed in Munich was a large number of men in groups for bachelor’s
parties. I assume that this is due to the draw of beer culture to men – myself included.
After visiting Munich, I can understand why these groups chose Munich as the
place to binge drink. The beer is fantastic. I also enjoyed the food very much.
It is similar to Austrian food with meat, potatoes, and bread as staples;
however, I liked the German combinations of these main components slightly
better. The best meal I had in Munich was at the famous Hofbrauhaus (where is
the umlaut key?). Everything I tried was delicious. Bavarian sauerkraut and au
gratin potatoes definitely are something I will wish to have again after coming
back home. Oh, and did I mention beer? It is fantastic, and the only option is
to drink it in large amounts. Your options are limited in this regard when the
standard size of stein is 1 liter. From darks to dunkels to kellers and so on,
every beer I had in Munich was great. The nightlife of Munich made up for the
lack of sights during the day, by far. Taverns and bars where everywhere, with
most everyone looking to have a great time. I was able to make friends with a
group of Brits who were in Munich for a bachelor’s party (common theme).
Similarly to Austria, the locals and others I met in Munich were quite
friendly. They were more than willing to help with directions and easy to talk
to. A major difference, though, is that many in Munich are quite loud.
Austrians seem more reserved, whereas Bavarians like to whoop and holler and
have a good time, especially if there is alcohol involved.
Overall,
it was very nice to have a full free day today in Munich. I was able to spend
time with friends, both ones I have made on this trip and ones I made tonight.
I was also able to try delicious food and drink, see some sights, and expose
myself to/learn about the culture of another country.
The food sounds like heaven!
ReplyDeleteSounds like Munich was a good choice and a good time!
ReplyDelete