Day
Six: Saturday, May 19
Today
I explored the Buda side of Budapest with Logan and Victoria, covering over 10
miles on foot. We explored castles, churches, and shops, in addition to seeing
statues, monuments, and other landmarks. We crossed the Szechenyi bridge, and
were able to see the monument to Jews consisting of shoes along the riverbank.
We ate fantastic Hungarian goulash, and were able to see a multitude of
Hungarian foods in outdoor stands. Today we packed as much activity into the
last bit of time we had remaining in Budapest before having to board our train.
Overall, the feel of Buda was very different than that of Pest. The buildings
were nicer, it was more clean, smoking was less prevalent, and the types of
people wandering the streets were of different ethnicities than in Pest. Also,
the concentration of tourists was much greater than in Pest. The feel of Buda was
more similar to that of Vienna, although the Hungarian culture was definitely
still present. Touring this area was interesting, because we were able to
experience a mix of outdoors and indoors, in addition to a mix of terrain that was
uphill, downhill, and flat. These aspects are not present in the terrain of
Vienna. Of all the experiences I had in Budapest, the bath house was my
favorite. I had never been in a place like that, and the time spent with new
friends was great. Once we returned to Vienna from Budapest, I had dinner with
Logan and Victoria in our host family’s neighborhood and settled in for a quiet
night.
I found the shoes along the riverbank to be really moving. All those lives.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you stayed in Budapest to spend time with friends just "being" and seeing, contemplating and exploring! Moving, serene, gorgeous, and astounding....
ReplyDelete