Day one: Monday, May 14
Today consisted mostly of becoming acquainted with public transport, AAIE, and host families. As I entered the country (starting on the plane) I was able to recognize some of the landmarks I had been viewing from Google Earth from the airplane window. This really solidified the "realness" of finally being in a foreign country. Once we touched down, I was impressed with the overall cleanliness of Austria. On the City Airport Train, I was able to see how green the areas surrounding Vienna were. This was the most impressive of the trains I rode, with comfortable seating, a smooth ride, and plenty of space. Once we ascended aboveground, the beautiful Viennese architecture was the first thing I noticed. Fountains, monuments, statues, and practically every building had an ornate style to them.
Once we arrived at AAIE, welcoming attitudes, further ornate architecture, and special student privileges made it clear that this was a place where any student studying abroad could feel at home. Hermann covered rules and recommendations very well, while keeping these rather boring subjects interesting.
After checking in at AAIE, we were able to spend a little time in the city admiring public parks and various landmarks. Also, we had the privilege of enjoying excellent food thanks to AAIE. Shortly after, we were introduced to our host families. After arriving at the home of my host family, I was pleased with the friendliness of our host parents, as well as the accommodations with which we were provided. I was pleased to learn that the house had a convenient kitchen area in the same space as the beds, in addition to a very nice back patio and table. As an additional act of kindness, our host parents bought us dinner.
I think overall cleanliness what one of the first things I noticed as well when I first came to Austria - along with their automobiles. NO ONE has a "beater" haha
ReplyDelete