Monday, May 28, 2018


Day Five: Friday, May 18
In Budapest, the architecture was the first difference I noticed. In contrast to the ornate architecture of Vienna, that of Budapest was more “rough” with aged brick and structures that were obviously in disrepair. Despite the shape of some of the buildings of Budapest, I was intrigued by what I perceived as the history visible in these buildings, or as what some might say was “character.” While the buildings in Vienna displayed an evident sense of grandeur and beauty, those in Budapest were more interesting to me because they seemed to have a unique personality. I noticed that the prevalence of Turkish food was greater in the Pest side, due to a greater prevalence of Turkish citizens living in the area. Though I never found out the reason for this, the observation was intriguing. Another difference that I noted between Budapest and Vienna was that the homeless population seemed much greater, although this might have been due to the areas that we were touring. Smoking in both Vienna and Budapest is prevalent. However, in Budapest, individuals who smoked seemed to represent more than half of the population.
I did several things today which I greatly enjoyed, such as visiting a bathhouse, where I was able to experience a multitude of different baths of various temperatures, both indoors and outdoors. I was also able to enter a sauna for the first time, which was a unique experience. I also went on a tour of the Danube river, where I learned about the history and significance of various landmarks along the riverbank. In addition, I was able to explore the Pest side of Budapest to a significant extent, as well as end the night with a ride on the Budapest eye – a large Ferris wheel that gave a great view of the city.
The way I feel in Budapest is definitely different than the way I feel in Vienna. In Budapest, I feel more of an energy. The people seem less reserved than in Vienna, and the city streets are more bustling, with a cacophony of smells and sounds, in addition to the many sights. While I have had a sense of wonder while touring both places, I felt more energized in Budapest.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I just thought everybody in Vienna smoked until I got to Budapest and saw what "everybody smokes" really looked like! That's interesting that you felt more energized. I wonder if it is the kind of untamed feeling that Budapest has that made you feel that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. More energized? Hmmm....I wonder why? The hustle and bustle and roughness? A new place? Interesting!

    ReplyDelete